...winter wouldn't last so long and leave such a miniscule slice of the annual pie for spring and summer. I lose my glow and motivation in the winter. Seems like the whole world is just waiting. I sit in a warm place, surrounded by blankets and coffee cups, daydreaming about the beach and its charming echoes. Water crashes against land and land dribbles into the water. The cycle is miraculous. And there is nothing that can compare to it...certainly not snow or sleet. I feel deprived in the winter, like I'm cheating on my favorite seasons with a less capable lover.
On days like this, I wonder if I'll make it through such a bitterly cold season. It isn't compassionate or gentle. It is bitter and lonely...and it taunts those of us who were born in the most beautiful months of the year. If I make it to spring, I'll kiss the ground and worship the spring's flowers. I vow to spend more time on the grass than on carpet. I'll admire my own mosquito bites and I might even welcome a bee's sting. I'll grin when I see bird droppings on my car windshield. I'll welcome nature back to the Carolina's. Because...anything is better than this.
Next year, I may fly south with the birds or find warmth among the bears. Hybernation is a brilliant concept. I intend to embrace it. You see...this post isn't really about weather. It's about a season of lack. It's about a lack of color and warmth in life in general.
I need more...more color...more fulfillment. So, with a wishful heart, I wait for spring.
1 comment:
I'm with you in this one, I absolutely hate winter. Especially winter in a city when the snow is never white and fluffy but brown and wet. It's too cold to go outside and when you DO venture out in the cold wearing 50 layers of your warmest jumpers and a fluffy jacket, you slip on a patch of ice right outside your front door.
BUT nothing will beat the feeling of coming back in from doing your thing, your cheeks red from the cold. You take off all your layers, slip into a pair of comfy flannel pyjamas, step into your slippers and sit in front of the tv with the CH blaring heat in your general direction. It's 5 pm and it's dark outside, you're sitting inside in the light where it's warm, with a cup of tea and a biscuit, and what do you do?
sit in front of the window, watching other people slip and fall on the ice.
And oh, how you laugh!
Winter's good at times. :)
xx
Post a Comment