I know it hurts to dream of better days. I know that the ability to open your eyes in the morning and see life with optimism, is fading into nonexistence. I know that you often wonder what your purpose is and why you're here. We all do. And even though we robotic ally stroll through each day hoping no one will figure out that we're faking our way through life, there is a pain that surfaces when no one is watching. There is doubt and there is denial.
These are times like none we have experienced before. Nothing is certain and everything is questionable. Our hands burn from filling out job applications for positions that we hoped we would never need. Our eyes sting from calculating the balance due for all that we use to survive. (Electricity bills dance through my dreams while I sleep). It's all so much less funny than it used to be. There is no punch line when everyone I know is standing in the unemployment line at 8am, hoping to receive a little relief for the next few weeks.
I know it seems impossible to aspire to quench the fire in your gut when everything you want seems so unattainable, so unrealistic. It isn't easy to be a part of a generation of students who are graduating into nothingness. We used to laugh about the idea of moving back into our parents' houses. We use to talk about what kind of cars we'd be driving at 25. We talked about retiring at 30. I talked about being wealthier than Oprah by age 40.
And now all I talk about is the damn water bill (which is $115 by the way).
I didn't ask for this life. I didn't ask for these circumstances and I know you didn't either. But, I'm here to tell you...and myself...that there is no way that this drought will last forever. There is no way that this life will fail us all. Though my day dreams are now few and far between, I will continue to believe that all that I've ever hoped for is reachable. And I hope you'll find a way to do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment