Monday, February 14, 2011

THE BROOM LIST!

Things I'd Like to Do, Before I Say "I Do"


From an early age, women are encouraged to focus on family, marriage, and children. Once we reach a certain age, we’re all desperately trying to avoid being old maids who spend Valentine’s Day with “friends” talking about how insignificant the day is, when (deep down) we’re yearning for Cupid to ransack us with an arsenal of arrows. I have to keep it so real. This is the one day of the year when my community’s mail man (who is actually a 40-year old white woman) starts looking slightly debonair…and I’m tempted to ask if he (I mean-she) has plans tonight.

I don’t want to create a dramatic sob story, because I haven’t been single on Valentine ’s Day in 10 years. Every year, I’ve had someone who took better care of me than I did of them…trying to woo me and convince me that there was no one who could love me better. Honestly, I have always been numb to the fuss and the frantic undertone of the day. I found it to be superfluous and exhausting. This year, is the first, that I will spend spoiling those in my life who have always been good to me (my family). Tonight, I’ll surprise my mom with flowers and my brother/dad with cards and candy.

I’ve had a lot of time (during the past few months of single living) to think about what is important. I realize that, instead of obsessing over what I don’t have, I have to celebrate what I have already and what I hope to have once love does bum rush me. I mentioned in a recent post, that I have never been in love. Though that may offend some, it’s fine time that I decide to be honest and open. I cannot give my love to anyone until I am ready and willing to share all of myself. There is so much in my life that has been left undone because of unhealthy relationships. There are so many goals that have been abandoned or delayed because I’ve wanted to cater to someone else’s needs instead of acknowledging my own.

I’m never going to do that again. I have a short list of things that I intent to accomplish before I jump the broom…and I’d like to share them with you. However, there is a quick disclaimer: if love shows up before I’ve accomplished everything on my list…I will welcome it with open and grateful arms. I will then rely on my partner to encourage me to continue pursuing my dreams and completing each challenge that I start.

MY BROOM LIST (a list of things i'd like to do before i say "i do")

Finish writing my first book
Refresh my wardrobe/Prepare for Life after “25”
Take a road trip with my mom
Have a huge birthday dinner at my parents house with everyone that I love
Get certified in Beginners Yoga and/or Beginners Zumba
Learn how to cook (at least) five new dishes
Triple the balance in my savings account
Buy my first property

No comments: