Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Joy. (New Beginnings)

Joy.


I used to think that, in order to be happy; I needed an audience of co-signers. I thought I needed people in my life who were willing to validate the decisions I made. It has taken 25+ years to accept that the only voice I need to hear is my own. When I replay the hateful comments and negative opinions that others shared with me, my own thoughts get muffled.

I want to celebrate this gorgeous day by encouraging you to hear your own voice.

If you aren’t surrounded by people who know how to affirm and inspire you, don’t fret. Sometimes God puts me in environments where I have to be my own best friend, my own cheerleader, my own counselor, and my own example. Years ago, I learned to love myself because I had no other choice. I learned to trust my own voice because I had no one else to confide in or trust.

Opt not to feel lonely when people around you don’t understand your plans, dreams or desires. Instead, take advantage of the quiet moments. They come to provide you with time for peace and reflection.

There have been dozens of occasions when I was surrounded by twenty or more “friends” and I felt completely alone. I felt like I had to hide behind an image that others had grown to love and admire. I lost myself while searching for acceptance. I can happily say that I am a new, healthy woman…because I endured the silence, the dark nights, and the “loneliness”.

I found sunlight and hope on the other side of self-doubt and fear. I hope that you’ll start to worry less and really live more. Leave people and their opinions behind you. Figure out what you want and deserve. Abandon your insecurities and adopt joy.



I love you. Be encouraged.

No comments: