I used to collect masks. I loved them all. I wore them all.
Every unique disguise was intended to help me blend in...or stand out. I was capable of hiding every emotion that I believed to be annoying. I could serve as the socialite in any room. My smile was painted on and my tears were optional...only visible if I wore a mask of vulnerability. Even my flaws were a cover-up.
I thought I needed masks. I thought my raw identity was too troublesome and too complicated. I felt unlovable and unacceptable.
Life has a funny way of removing those carnal things and habits that we believe we need in order to survive...
More specifically, God has a funny way of reminding me that all I need is Him.
I don't wear masks anymore. Not because I don't want to...but because disguises have the ability to effect the psyche. I started to forget who I was and who I really wanted to be. I started to lie to me. I was in too deep. I played a role 24 hours a day and eventually...I didn't even know who I was looking at when standing in front of the mirror.
I've spent years trying to decide who I am and what I need. I struggle to be authentic and transparent. I am desperate to accept myself so that I can encourage others to accept me too.
It takes so much courage to just be you <3
NNL
No comments:
Post a Comment