Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What's Love Got to Do With it?

I just can't help myself. Can't keep these words...thoughts...that are purposed to penetrate the minds of the ignorant to myself. Because I think the truth is terrifying and liberating in the same breath. I think that people want the truth, they search for and hunt the truth in order to be freed from the exhausting cycles of redundant bullshit in their lives. I think the truth is an antibiotic for my generation. Most of us, need a vaccine that might help us distinguish authenticity from the plastic idols that we worship. Everything is labeled "real"...and I'm starting not to trust the word because its connotation is being insulted. Reality TV makes me queasy. Processed food boxes that are proudly labeled when containing real ingredients (i.e. these cheese-curls contain real cheese!) are just ridiculous. And punk ass little rappers who claim to be "so real, so raw and so hood" make me want to go on a karate-chopping spree. I just can't take it anymore. So I have a point to make. A very important point. And it's about the way members of my generation "love" each other.

I'm convinced that love used to be about something. I can tell, from watching my parents and friends' grandparents, that love isn't supposed to be so flimsy and temporary. I know, in my heart, that there is an unbreakable connection between two people after they're intimate. I know that a woman who lays with someone she loves can, for the rest of her life, feel when that person is in pain or in trouble. No matter how much we disrespect, forget, and run from each other, we are incapable of ridding of each other spiritually. We walk around with bitterness stored in our hearts, depositing filth and brokenness into each other. We are careless and relentless...in the worst way. We're all lost, but some of us hide it better than others. We throw the word "love" around like a damn Frisbee hoping someone will catch it and throw it back to us. And for what? We don't know anything about what love is. Most of us don't deserve to use to word. It's blasphemous.

If people are going to continue to use each other, walk away from spouses and children, split assets, raise kids in tormentuous environments, abandon new borns, and abuse each other...then we should all just leave the L-word out of it. Because love doesn't have shit to do with the way we're operating in modern times. It's despicable. It's painful. But, most importantly, is animalistic.

Actually, I take that back. Animals are more charismatic, gentle, and charming than most of the people I'm talking about. Animals only kill to protect and to survive. They break bones. They don't break hearts. Bones can heal. Hearts can only mend but the repair is never 100% effective. Everything is never going to just be alright. Something is broken inside most of us. And two wounded people can't save each other. That's how I know love is rarely present among us. There's not enough love left to go around. For me, love is truth. Truth is love. And where there is no truth/no reality...love isn't present.

I'm not being relentlessly real for my health. I'm doing this so that I can be set free from my own limitations and fears. I'm dealing with the fact that I'm surrounded by so much fallacy, that I'll I have to trust...is me. I hope that I'll spend my life with someone who isn't allergic to the truth, someone who believes that real love isn't about egos, selfishness, and pride. When I vow to spend the rest of my days with someone, love will have EVERYTHING to do with it.

And that's real.

1 comment:

Holly Renee said...

Ohhhhhh, I'm so happy I started following your blog and got to read this post. It's so true.

Trusting yourself is the way to go. One of my mentors once told her partner, "I don't know if I can trust you after all I've been through in past relationships." Her partner, being smart and loving, replied, "Don't trust me. Trust yourself. Trust your heart."

I believe that many people these days do not know what real love is. Instead they reside in ego love, which will eventually turn to hate. It's sad. But all we can do is work on ourselves, and you are doing that. Thank you for being real and thank you for this post.