Let me describe my life to you…
It’s like a lily in the valley of poverty, war, hatred, bigotry, racism, sexism, and all other prejudice. It is the well filled with living water on the highest mountain in the driest desert. My life is a glimmer of hope in a dark society where love is scarce and hope is depleting.
My life is the kind of beautiful that poets described in the early 1800’s. I have no need for daily miracles…or minor strokes of luck because my every day is deliciously complete. My very breath is unbelievable. I have the kind of joy that is not attained with monetary supplication or worldly satisfaction. I know that this mentality cannot be purchased nor developed during some 90-day program in a yoga camp in Fiji. I am joyful because one day, not long ago, I decided to be joyful. Whether or not the sun shines or I get complimented on a new outfit or a mysterious check shows up in the mailbox…I’m satisfied.
I’m happy because I’m too grateful and too wise not to be. Everywhere I look, I see destruction. Families are falling apart. Plagues are attacking crops in Asia. Deadly rashes are breaking out in Joplin as storm volunteers aim to clean up debris. The US government is more corrupt now than ever and mass rapes are devastating Africa.
Yet, this morning, I woke up in my mini-castle in suburbia with the AC creating a literal breeze in my bedroom. I had a brilliant vegan breakfast and my favorite green tea…I filled my car with the same gas that so many Americans cannot afford and I drove to the job that millions of Americans would kill to have. Each moment was filled-no-overflowing with gratitude.
There will always be a million reasons to complain. I'm American. That’s what we do. But, when we really embrace the essence of life and hone in on all that is important and imperative…Life is gorgeous.
My mama used to say, “Life is what you make it baby”…and she was right. So, I challenge you. Let’s make life good. As Oprah Winfrey would say, “live your best life.”
I choose to love this life every day because I have lived 24 years without dealing with cancer, diabetes, AIDS, unwanted pregnancy, alcohol & drug addiction, homelessness, cyclical unemployment, and many other hardships.
My life hasn’t been easy…but ease doesn’t make life awesome. My mentality makes my life awesome. On June 10, 2011, I am “publicly” refreshing my mentality about success and joy (again). It is vital that I understand what fulfillment really is…so that I’ll never be empty again.
Please be careful what you complain about…there are people all over the world…who would love to have your problems rather than their own. (Be encouraged).
No comments:
Post a Comment