Saturday, July 11, 2009

One Size Does Not Fit All.


Lately, I've been catching wind of a new trend. A new norm perhaps. Lately... I've been seeing fabulously full women in the media more and more. And it excites me like no other sensation could. Now, I'm certain that my opinions are contradictory and I am promoting a double standard but I have to admit...I don't think that men who are chubby are going to be considered hot or delectable in the media any time soon.

Hey. I said it. That's just my opinion. You'll have to live with it. I do, however, believe that girls who fill out all the right angles of little black dresses are the new sex symbols of America. I've seen the term "voluptuous" every where lately. Young beautiful ladies like Whitney (from a few seasons back on ANTM) are changing the pace of fashion for curvaceous women everywhere. Even Latifah, the face of Cover Girl, in her latest campaign reminds all of us to wear whatever size we feel beautiful wearing. And I intend to jump on that band wagon and ride it until the wheels deflate. Because if anyone thinks that a woman with a little more to love is the sexiest thing since McDonald's fries on the dollar menu-it's me.

It took me 22 (I'll be 23 tomorrow) years to realize that being a certain size doesn't guarantee anyone a membership to the super-sexy-society. There are women who are toothpicks and could wear a rubber band as a bathing suit, that aren't hot because they aren't confident. Then there are women who can't fit into anything that says "one size fits all", but they are fierce because they refuse to feel less gorgeous just because they're full-figured.

All I am saying is that I love women who love themselves. I love women who know how to be unapologetic for the unique attributes and generous assets. There is nothing more intoxicating than a woman who takes care of every inch of her body and revers herself with the utmost respect. For example, Kim Kardashian* is the Marilyn Monroe of the millennium. She has curves and she doesn't hide them. She is sexy because she isn't the same size as every other woman in Hollywood. She's custom-made. And there is nothing hotter than being original.

*Kardashian was used as an example for body image purposes only. I don't know her personally and I'm not endorsing her personality, public image or lifestyle choices.

Thanks for reading. What are your thoughts about body image issues among women?

1 comment:

Archana said...

I love this!:) I've always thought that confidence is sexier than what's on the outside - anyday. If you're insecure, no matter how 'hot' you are, it's not going to shine through. I love women that are confident with their bodies, regardless of size. Of course, I also believe that people should dress appropriately for their size, because I find one too many plus-size women (I don't even like that term), scratch that, voluptuous women try and squeeze themselves into a dress that isn't very flattering.

Definitely confidence & the knack to pick what looks good on you equates being a head-turner. :) And yay for media embracing women with curves. I just wrote a post on my blog about ANTM & what I'd be like if I was on it. Lol.