Monday, July 27, 2009

Who's the Boss?

I don't mean to be redundant. But I have a problem with bullies. I have a problem with the people who are often in power. I have a problem with "managers" and "supervisors". Even the terminology is incriminating. The little people are constantly being reminded of how little they really are. And I hate it. I'm not suggesting that we emphasize that benefits of communism. I know that leadership is necessary, but I also know that slavery isn't necessary. People shouldn't have to tolerate being talked to like their worthless and incapable of finding better opportunities.
Most of the managers I've had or known, have been a special breed of human. They're typically heartless, with really bad hair, and high water slacks that make everyone uneasy. According to The Big Book of Fake Statistics, 97% of all of the stupid people in the world are managers at retail stores or...spas.

Why is it that the people who were "nobodys" in high school, grow up to be the managers of grocery stores, video stores, and...spas? Why is it that the people who were stuffed into lockers during middle school, manage to break out of the lockers, graduate from law school and start creating policies? I don't understand who put all of the bitter, lonely people in charge. There is some kind of phenomenon taking place all around me. The most unattractive, evil people are filthy rich and immune to the recession while the talented, warm-hearted people are standing in the unemployment line from 8am-3pm waiting for relief.

Something has got to give. We are all worthy of fair treatment and respect. No one person is more valuable than another. When I see "managers" treating other workers like shit, I just want to start beating someone with a random baseball bat. I'm thinking, "just because they gave you a special colored vest at Wal-Mart and you get to "oversee" the registers, doesn't make you a celebrated citizen of the United States." Just give me a break already.

The people in this world who are really valuable, don't have to make other people feel insignificant in order to feel better about themselves. When I am forced to work for people who have no families/no spouses/no significant others/no friends/ and no sense of personal style, I just want to yank God out of the sky and say, "why has thou forsaken me?"

1 comment:

Archana said...

Ick, annoying managers on a power trip are never fun. :x I've been lucky to have been around managers that are caring and actually know how to run a team. It's a hard line for them to balance, you know, to build a level of comfort with co-workers but yet remain assertive when it comes to laying down the rules/regulations/etc. I think any time power is handed to a human, 99.9% of them misuse it.