Sunday, July 5, 2009

Work Hard. Play Harder.

Blogging is therapeutic. It allows me to share my woes and "wear downs" with all of my readers and it allows me to remove myself from this small world of picket fences, apple pies, and Harris Teeter grocery stores. I launched Relentlessly Real about 6 weeks ago and I've been telling the truth without apology-ever since. I share my opinions but I avoid details about my life in an effort to protect the people I love...and even the people I can't stand. But some of my new bloggy friends tend to ask the questions that we writers are terrified of answering. Including: who are you beyond the blogging? What do you do when you aren't making people chuckle, or nod, on the other side of computer screen?

And I, being the bold blog author that I am, am more than willing to answer those personal, invasively fascinating questions. I have no problem talking about the life that I live when I'm not jotting my thoughts down and "broadcasting" them for the entire globe to gaze upon. So, without mentioning names, I'd like to tell you a little about myself. I hope that's alright.

Let's start with the basics. I live in Eastern North Carolina where the summers are hotter than a sauna in hell and the winters are depressing and gray like sex with an incompetent ex-boyfriend. The spring and fall, however, are more beautiful than any photograph I've ever seen. To live here is to fall in love with nature again and again. We're a couple of hours from the beach and just a day trip away from the mountains. The side walks are perfect. No cracks, no gum-just cement and an occasional rebellious flower. There's a coffee shop or a sandwich shop on every corner and seeing a frown is as likely as seeing a shooting star. People are sincerely happy. Despite the economy and the war...there is joy here. And that's why I settled here. I hunt joy.

As far as my daily routine, I am lucky enough to have the two things in life that we all spend eternity searching for, love and purpose. When I wake up in the morning, I do so with gratitude and with the intention to make the current day better than the last. I blog in my room from a small indoor/outdoor table that I found at Target. The entire room has a North Carolina Wrightsville Beach theme. My bed is plush and warm...and the windows in my room are large and urban. My entire community is quirky just like I am. Some brilliant builder just dropped urban, inner-city condos in the middle of suburbia and farm land. It's random and it's excellent. At 22 years old, I already live in my dream home.

I work hard to maintain the standard of living that I'm accustomed to. Believe it or not-this rebel has a day job. I don't do cubicles...or conference rooms, but I'm a part-time manager at a local spa. When I'm not there, I am meeting with potential investors and writers for a magazine that I'm launching this Fall. It's a magazine for modern, innovative and independent women. I'll share more details later. (I'm bashful when it comes to my life's work). My days are long but my weekends and my nights are longer. I play so much harder than I work. The special person in my life owns my free time. When I'm not working, I'm loving. Simple equation. I'm all about good love, fine literature, great mixed drinks, and excellent pedicures.

What I care most about though- is people. I'm convinced that I'm here to do some good before they put me 6 feet under. I'm convinced that compassion will make this ailing world a better place. And I'm certain that love will heal even the most battered heart. There. I've given you me. Now I want to know more about you. It's only fair. ;-)

5 comments:

the girl with the pink teacup said...

What a great post, Miss. It was brave of you to share so much of yourself on your blog, and hope it was a worthwhile experience for you. I certainly enjoyed reading about the woman behind the blog. As far as I'm concerned, though - I reckon anyone who's read my blog knows more about me by now than they would probably ever want to!

caramelspice said...

Miss... oh wow i loved this post,its so eloquent! I find that when we talk of things we love or are very passionate about we are often very candid...you could write about anything it seems, and well still captivate...its a wonderful quality. One i aspire to have myself...hmmm Miss a Muse? i love it!
xoxoxox

Archana said...

I love this post! You're such a writer. ;) Hehe, I know what you mean about people asking to find out more about your personal life outside of the blog...I'm still skeptical about treading those waters, but you've just done it so well!

You had me laughing at "winters are depressing and gray like sex with an incompetent ex-boyfriend", haha, that's hilarious. You can tell from reading this that you love living life & that you enjoy the path you're on. I always feel like those that look for happiness & joy in life are the most content people. :)

PS - "I'm all about good love, fine literature, great mixed drinks, and excellent pedicures." I'm right there with you! Maybe not so much the fine lit, since I've have to be in the mood to pick up a book. But the rest of it, that's the good life. ;)

cooper said...

It is nice to see someone our age with their life together. You have a great way with words as well.

Jazzy said...

<3 you, of course!! how come i didn't know all of this? we need to talk about life asap... i'm so happy about the magazine thing, that's so cool. i would love to have a magazine. and that sound like the perfect one.

:)