Monday, June 15, 2009

I'm Too Afraid To Love You

This is a tribute. It is a work of fiction with underlying truths that might benefit anyone who can take something from it. It's a letter from the timid lover that exists within each one of us. It's a letter that is intended for the person many of us wish we could be with but may never be with because of societal norms, racism, economic status, religious barriers, and hate. Here goes...


Dear Forbidden,

You are everything I've always wanted, but everything I cannot have. I'm sorry. I don't want to live without you. I'd rather be dead. To live without you near me is not living at all. I left you, abandoned you, forgot about you, because they told me to. They told me that I couldn't be with someone like you. They told me that love doesn't look or feel like this. We're too different. Our worlds, our values, and our goals are too different. And as much as I want to tell them that I love you and I won't apologize for wanting you, I can't. If I disobey them, if I ignore them, it'll just be you and me against the world.

I won't be able to dine at the country club anymore. Or even worse I won't be able to serve as a minister anymore. I won't be able to walk down main street with your hand in mine. We won't be able to raise children together. They'll be so mixed up. They'll be so corrupt. We wouldn't want that. Nobody wants that. So I think it's best if I listen to them. It'll save everybody so much heartache in the end. Though I love you, though I want you, I need to be practical. I need to stop living in the clouds and be reasonable.

When I was young, I imagined the perfect wedding, with perfect plump flowers, and my entire family beaming with joy. I deserve that wedding. I can't have that with you. My mother always wanted me to marry a docter and though your embrace is medicine to my soul, you aren't what she had in mind. So, we should just quit while we're ahead. And even though I'd rather be dead, I'm sure we'll both be just fine. I can't throw everything else away and spend all of my days with nothing but a life full of love. That would just be ridiculous. Right?

Sincerely,

Puppet

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this post felt like cold, icy water tickling the back of my throat mid-summer day in July...you really quenched my thirst. In this life of mine, I find it difficult to relate to my peers because many are very similar to Puppet. I know everyone cannot be an independent minded, self-proclaimed feminist, and as passionate as I am, but you give me hope. I feel very strongly about people being left alone to do whatever their heart desires. It is the ultimate illustration of worship to God after all. Hopefully your words will challenge and nourish minds with the notion that popular culture isn't all that popular after all. Nothing in life is black and white, or right and wrong, if that were the case we wouldn't have so many ethnicities, there would be no rainbow...I won't create another blog here, just showing my support :)

Keep sharing your gift!

Anonymous said...

bnj speaking-i can't really get into what i think now . . i'm trying to make money at the moment (i'm at work). however, what i can say is, this my favorite post. barnes and noble, borders and books a milion have a million and one times infiniti self-help books about how to find love, keep love, give love etc. However, society has taught us that love can be contained. If love could be contained that would mean that love is logical. Love is not and will never be logical. Love should know no color, boundary, or even gender. Love is love-more of us, need to just let it be exactly what it is. And one more thing, I love you and your writing! :)

Ana Laura E said...

I tagged you with an award!

the girl with the pink teacup said...

I'm sure there are many people living lives exactly like this at this very moment. I wonder if they're really living. I wish they could read this post.

xo

cooper said...

Never having been in this situation and not beibg able to imagine beibg in such a sittuation I can't phanthom really what it would be be like. I wonder at the pressures on those who feel they must confine themselves in love, where do they come from and what they feel they risk for doing what they want.

I think love develops over time and I can see the point of people who, for one reason or another, do not want to give up all they have for something possibly unknown. But in the end, if one is not willing to go there for someone it is probably for the best, as they would never do justice, in love or life, to that person.

Bluebelle said...

This is such great, originial writing...looking forward to reading more from you!

Archana said...

So true, & well written! I come from a culture where there's a certain expectation for the 'ideal' candidate. And there's been many moments when I've come close to wanting to shake the norms apart and maybe, maybe venture into the forbidden. Hasn't happened though. Family bonds, cultural norms, etc just speak way too loud & pound through your head the minute your mind wanders.