Friday, June 5, 2009

Women make the world go round. (Fact. Not Opinion.)

Let's talk about women today, shall we? Where to begin...Where to begin...ah yes. Here were are. At the beginning.

After God made Adam, He was frustrated. He thought to Himself, what have I done? He pondered, knowing that He (The Almighty) wasn't capable of making mistakes, and eventually figured out how to expand on his creation, in order to perfect the new human race. Alas, Eve was crafted...I know. I know. That's not really how things happened. But, in my opinion, what God was able to do in 6 days would not have been nearly as awe-inspiring if Eve hadn't been molded from a rib during that majestic week. "Why?" you ask. And to you I say, Women make the world go round.

Women are to the world what a caterpillar is to a cocoon. Women give the world a reason to hang in there. Ya know? It's complicated. But I'm almost certain that the earth, as a planet, sometimes thinks to itself and says, "These people don't appreciate me. I'm ugly now. Pollution is defacing me, they're taking my trees...." But, with women here on earth, pushing past oppression, fighting for civil rights, defeating cancer, the world is bettered every day. The earth is inspired to stick around instead of wiping us all out for being ungrateful. The same is true for a cocoon. It's tattered, grey, ugly, and is rarely appreciated for being a natural work of art. But, within it, is one of the most precious miracles of all time. Butterflies validate cocoons. They provide cocoons with a purpose. I believe that women give this world purpose. If it weren't for mothers, sisters, girlfriends, and history-making coaches like Kay Yow, this world would seem like such tattered, grey, and ugly place. But because it houses women, it's a world worth appreciating.

So at this point, all of my male readers are either copying and pasting this to send to a girlfriend in an e-mail, removing themselves from my 'followers' list, or pointing one of their hairy fingers at the computer and, through clenched teeth, whispering, "MissUnderstood is a FEMINIST!" To that assumption, I say, "Boo." I happen to consider myself to be more of a feminine-warrior. A lover of all things female. A celebrator of the accomplishments of everyone who was once quieted but now speaks freely and can serve in governmental positions, leadership positions, etc. I am no bra burner. (Please note that most feminists cringe at the ignorance of those who insist that all feminists hate men and burn bras). I love men. Well, I love two men. My little brother and my step-father. They're men, nonetheless. So, let's move past the notion that I am just all about women because I think men are losers. I don't. I just know that everything men can do, women have already done better. But no one wrote about it.

I wish everyone thought women were viciously capable, beautifully passionate, and vibrantly fulfilled. But, the sad news is, most women don't feel that way about themselves. I was inspired to write today's blog after speaking with one of my closest friends yesterday. Without realizing what she was saying, she admitted the following: "Life would be so much better if I didn't have to work for anything, didn't have to overcome adversity, and didn't have to-try." Then she said, "I want to just marry a rich man so I don't have to worry about anything." While she was talking, I threw up in my mouth a little bit. I kept trying to remember if I'd walked into my time machine that morning and selected the year 1956 on a little red dial. But when we drove past a bank, there was the date, clear as day. June 4, 2009. The friend who was telling me about her outdated fantasy is one of the most intelligent, entrepreneurial, sophisticated women I know. I couldn't even believe that, after seeing so many women disappointed while pursuing that same fantasy, she was talking about never having a fulfilling career or personal goals. Even worse, she is in her twenties. More specifically, she's twenty-two.

There is nothing wrong with looking forward to motherhood, choosing to stay at home and take care of a family, or hoping to find a knight-in-shining-armor. Aside from all of those things, however, a woman should still have her own identity. And for young women who have had an opportunity to see a woman almost become president of the U.S, who know that many presidents in other countries are women, and who know that many of America's most powerful people are women- there's just no excuse. I will never put my entire life in the hands of a man with money. Because, if and when that man chooses to run off with his secretary, I would be left with 3 snotty-nosed children and...my abandoned dreams.

...If women knew how powerful and purpose-full they really are, this world would be a marvelous place to call home.

2 comments:

Ladybird said...

"everything men can do, women have already done it better. But No one wrote about it."BRILLIANT! I love this post. I have to admit that I have thought, on more than one occasion, that life would be better if my future husband could just take care of everything. It's a silly dream. Beyond the bad economy and high divorce rates making that unrealistic and close to impossible. I realized that it wouldn't bring me happiness. I sometimes have to remind myself that God made me too talented to be complacent. This serves as a visual reminder. Thanks!

the girl with the pink teacup said...

So true. Bravo, you.

xo