Friday, June 19, 2009

Why Do The Good Die Young?

The good die young because the bad kill them off. I'm sure of it. I've seen so many strong, capable, sincere individuals work themselves to death for a paycheck that barely covers basic necessities. And, all the while, the big bad boss is sitting comfortably on a few million dollars/acres and devilishly grinning as the slaves- I mean employees-build a powerful empire with no suitable compensation.

I've watched a woman that I respect very much work herself to damn-near-death for almost 25 years in order to put food on the table and clothes on our backs. I've watched her smile through the exhaustion, the illness, and the ailments as she dresses for another day of tormentuous labor. And each time I've watched silently, I've died just a little more inside. Because this woman, this angel on earth, deserves to have the stars at her feet. She deserves to rest in a garden of roses while having customized pedicures provided for her each morning at 10. She deserves to wear silk gowns at all times, even in the bathtub. Seriously. Though she's my mother and have a bias, I know that she is one of the most beautiful people on this planet and I am livid. I am so far beyond angry. She, as well as all the other good and worthy people in this world, deserve so much more than long hours and aching bodies.

There is a woman who owns a restaurant here in town. She's Satan's niece. The servers who work for her are some of the most talented individuals in North Carolina, maybe in the country. They're paid minimum wage and treated like animals. The owner has so much money that she's obviously immune to conditions like, oh I dunno, POVERTY or HUNGER or FINANCIAL BURDEN. She has an evil yellow grin and she smiles every time she has the opportunity to do something wicked. She doesn't deserve to own the place. She doesn't deserve to have toes. Yet, and still, she goes home to a big house and a 72k luxury car that ugly people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

And all I'm asking is, WHERE IS MY MOTHER'S LUXURY CAR? This is my dilemma. I want the good to have good and I want the bad to have nothing. But that's not how this world works. That's not the way this life will be so I might as well get my head out of the clouds now. Right?

Wrong. I intend to do something about it. I'm not sure what and I'm not sure when...but I refuse to watch every good person I know suffer until they shrivel up and die. My mother may not know how much I love her and how much I'd love to pull the moon out of the sky and offer it to her as a pillow...but one day, I swear on all that is good, she will have the opportunity to rest-really rest. She will know what its like to not have another bill to pay. She will wake up in the mornings without aches in her body. I promise. And if I cannot make her life more comfortable, like all the other good youngsters that die, I too will die trying.

5 comments:

the girl with the pink teacup said...

Your mum is must be a really special woman. Good on you for looking out for her interests.

Garf said...

That is real something you brought on. I have heard of what you say. I agree that i have seen the same. And here is what i feel personally about it:

Good or bad, we al are here to fit into the grand plan. Even palmistry and numerology suggest the same. There has been no answers as to why some are preferred choice of god.It's more of journey. Its not about bad finishing off good because, we all are destined. Do realise that if the bad finishes of good then the bad was destined to finish it. Our rodas and paths are already carved and all we can do is to put in the beats to see what's in store and face whatever comes at us and proceed. As long as i proceed, i am doing great. In this life, good or bad or finishing off doesn't matter. It might sound and feel hard but all that matters is how many games i play and how i play, not how many i win or loose or made to loose by the so called BAD you referred to. On a day, if destiny has it for me, i am alone all capable of finishing off all the bad in this world. :)

caramelspice said...

wow, you know you just took the thought right out of most of us' minds. Our parents really do sacrifice the earth for us. I hope someday like you, i can be able to do something to alleviate some of my mother's stress. Good luck and i am glad that we are all in this together!!!
xoxox

NNL said...

Garf-

I agree with the angle that you've presented. I do. It's just unfortunate that we are all merely actors on the world's stage...destined to play our part, whatever part that may be, and then die. It's tough.

Ana Laura E said...

My mom also sacrifice a lot for me, one day I hope to be able to support her so she doesnt have to work anymore...